3. What is the most challenging part of your job? What is most rewarding? Often the most challenging part of my job is to keep pace with the enormous amount of record keeping, reports, data collection, documentation, and IEP writing required in the special educator’s position. There don’t seem to be enough hours to teach full time and do justice to the mounds of paperwork involved in the special education field. In times when were trying so hard to meet the needs of students, on top of that there is a need to get all the paperwork done. The paper work is important also so there is a fine line to how much time is spent on both the students and the paperwork.
Teachers from both the special education field and regular classrooms have discussed the amount of paperwork involved with teaching. I understand too that some is necessary but shouldn't there be more teaching and time allowed for the students then all the time that is invested in filling out paperwork and crossing your q's while remembering to dot your i's so to speak?
The teacher I interviewed also mentioned the huge amount of paperwork involved in IEP's. She has 24 preschoolers this year and 19 of them are on IEP's. She told me she would love to be able to just teach and have someone else to do the IEP's and paperwork. I too think that it would be very overwhelming and stressful since so much detail goes into making each IEP the best to help each individual student.
WOW Tiffany, that is a huge workload and PreK can be overwhelming all on it's own without the paperwork! Maybe teachers should have secretaries that do all the paperwork for them! Wouldn't that be ideal? I personally would want the teacher that is working one on one with my student writing the report/paperwork because they know my students abilities and struggles first hand rather than having that reported to them by another teacher that is working with them. Soooo overwhelming to think about how they do it and how we will do it soon in our own classrooms!
I agree, the amount of paperwork is terrible. The teacher I interviewed complained about the same thing. She is the teacher I currently work for. She does 7th - 12th and has a caseload of 26. She also is currently testing 2 more, to be added to her caseload. She has been teaching for over 20 years and wishes everyday that she did not have all the paperwork and could just teach.
It really is terrible that so much time and effort has to go into all the paperwork that educators have to do. I don't think we should sacrifice the IEPs. I mean, if you had a child that had special needs, you wouldn't want them to lose that. However, I think that is something that needs to be addressed. Although, all too often teachers aren't recognized as being as instrumental as they are.
Yes, I think that all school districts should be alloted more money so that the Special Education teachers could have a personal secretary. They could go with them everywhere and jot down notes and know the kids so that the teachers' paperwork could get done. This would be ideal....but the teacher I interviewed would probably put them to work helping the kids. She also wouldn't even hire one most likely, and use that extra money for staff training which is one area of budget cutting.
I agree that it is a bit much at time. During the interview I conducted, the instructor indicated that there is a large amount of paperwork and updates that they have to consider. Whenever legislation is altered they are required by law to notify the parents and send documentation for the parents to sign. This often has little to do with the actual education taking place in the classroom but it is required by law.
Although it would be great to have someone hired specifically to do paperwork, I don't know how realistic this is. However, I do think that a great point has been brought up. Special education teachers are trained to teach children and help improve their lives; spending so much time on paperwork seems like a waste of someone with such skills to change lives. I am not really sure what the answer for this situation is, but I definitely feel that it is an area that can be improved. Great ideas everyone! :)
The woman I interviewed does IEP and IFSP's and she often talks about how much paper work is involved in this process. She has so many kids waiting for services that her wait list is over 50, this does not include those who are currently on an IEP or an IFSP that she alone is responsible for the paper work. I wish there was some way to get the paper work cut down. Just someway to put all the information needed in a shortened format
I totally agree Heidi, maybe the best way to find answers to this area would be take suggestions from special education teachers themselves. If anyone knows how the day goes in the classroom, they would have the best insight!
Yes, it would be in everyone's best interest, especially the children's, if there was some sort of technology they could use on the spot to input all their info for everyone involved to access and add input. It would have to be something that would uphold in court if anything were to happen, since that's the purpose of all the paperwork.
You know what I find the most wonderful about all these interviews is that with the huge workload and amount of paperwork these teachers have....they all still made time to let us interview them. That right there says so much about their love for education and students in general, I just wanted to throw that out there.
The special ed teacher that I interviewed also expressed how overwhelming all the paperwork associated with special ed is. Not just writing the IEP but also all the testing that is required to track the student's progress. Regulations on IEP etc are changed almost yearly which makes it even harder to stay up to date. After reading the interviews everyone wrote it seems like alot of teachers feel there is too much paperwork. It would be nice if teachers could be included in the decisions made by Dept of Education since they are the ones who are effected.
The special ed teacher I interviewed discussed the amount of paperwork, and data collection. One thing she did mention however, was that if all involved were doing their jobs, the data collection can be fairly easy and extremely useful when doing the massive amount of paperwork. She said that she had recently attended an in-service that explained how to make sense the amount of paperwork, as well as how to make it a little easier. She describe much of it as a necessary task, not her favorite part, but something that is manageable if you do a little bit at a time, stay on top of your work, and realize that much of it can help you do your job, or help others understand the needs and growth of the child.
This is very interesting to me. I have heard from numerous amounts of people that special education has a ton of paper work. The teacher I interviewed however said that he felt like he had less paper work than when he was in general education. He said when he taught in the regular ed. classroom he was always having to take home an endless amount of papers to grade. With IEPs he said it only gets overwhelming if he has several come up around the same time. It will be interesting to experience this first hand.
Do you feel that laws associated with Special Education prevent or aid you providing students with services? Does not feel that the laws prevent her from helping. The laws help with the fight against regular educators who do not want to provide adaptations. This is a question I pulled from someone's interview. It really brought something to me. Working as a para last year, I was in a class with a child and that particular teacher was very old school. She would rather give them worksheets from two years younger book and send them on their way. I went back and forth with my Special Education teacher, principal, and the teacher trying to do my job and it all seemed to be down to the fact that they did not want to push the regular ed teacher, but what about the student?
Tammy, it appears that people are posting about the interview questions under the discussion board. Go to tools, discussion board, and then down to the interview questions.
Thanks Curtis, and thanks Tammy. I added the blog forum option just because it would be a place where students from both sections of TESP 320 could interact. Also, it is kind of cool that by e-mailing to drrobbscott.vavb@blogger.com your comment can appear here on the blog discussion (I think this works). Anyway, there is a lot more activity on the section discussions on Blackboard and I agree that you might want to post your comments there. Maybe this blog would be a nice place in a few days to post farewell and good luck messages to people in both sections of the course...
I see a lot of worksheets in our school district. I would like to say because it is that I am a substitute and that is appropriate to leave for me while conducting the classroom. However I see it from both sides because my son also attends school so I see what he works on daily as well as the amount of worksheet homework! The worksheets I see seem to be printed state exams to just "coach and train" the students on what to pick and how to pass so the school continues to receive their standards and funding. This is sad and irritating all in one. The students are missing out on learning techniques, pen and paper methods, and problem solving sort of.
Ooohhhh worksheets! Love them? Hate them? I'll be honest, I think some worksheets are really good. However, I work with special ed students on a daily basis and I feel that by giving them worksheet after worksheet after worksheet that I am missing out on so many teaching strategies that I believe are way more beneficial to them!!! Through my education at FHSU and my experience as a Para I have learned so many different strategies, tools, and teaching techniques that I feel like I can teach so much more than a worksheet can. Worksheets are easy, every now and again we may need an "easy" day in which we can do worksheets. But in one of my classes that I para for, we do worksheets nearly every day and I feel like we as educators have so much more potential in the different ways we teach. I feel so fortunate to have the experience as a para before I go out in the "real world" and begin teaching! I will not be a worksheet teacher (maybe every now and again when I need an "easy" day....like the day before winter break? haha)!!!!
I currently work in the special education field and have experience doing a life skills program as an instructor, and I am seriously thinking that it would be a nice move to just be an Instructional Assistant because the salary range is 22,000-54,582 a year.
The base salary can increase, if you work summer school through an Extended School Year (ESY) program. The stress of being a teacher is a lot.
Easy days are appropriate every now and then Dana, however some teachers I have observed take too many easy days. I personally don't get it because an easy day of worksheets in the classroom would make for a long day for the teacher to grade all of the worksheets and see the same answers/dots over and over. (Granted that grading really takes place and it's not just "busy" work that gets stared after completed.) I agree that sometimes worksheets interfere with teaching strategies and interaction in the classrooms. Not to mention the amount of paper cost when the school has all these budget cuts! Perhaps a good idea for an easy day would be to upload these worksheets on a smart board system there as a class the students could go up one by one and mark answers... saves money on paper printing cost, uses technology skills for both students and teacher, required interaction between the students and their social skills (could be made into games such as deal or no deal, jeopardy, etc) and keeps learning fun!! I think something like this may even soak into the kiddoes brains better and they most may walk away from the "easy" day learning more than a weeks worth of worksheets!
Dana, it sounds as if you have a wonderful para experience that fits nicely with what you are doing in school. I would say I have a similar experience working as a para, and have had the opportunity to teach and work with students in small groups, as well as in the self-contained classroom where I spend most of my time. Spending one on one time with students is a wonderful experience. In regards to "worksheets" I honestly don't hate them as much as others do. I do think there must be a valid point and reason to use them, and not just simply something to throw in front of a student. In regards to some students with special needs, worksheets sometimes do not provide the proper avenue to assess learning or to teach a new skill.
All that being said, I know of a Kindergarten teacher who places coloring or matching worksheets on desks for students to do first thing in the morning. Though they often are an enrichment activity to accompany learning in the classroom, they are used as a way to ease students into their day, and get them focused on sitting at their desk and being ready to learn. In this way I think they are used appropriately, even if they provide what some may say is very little learning experience.
I experienced something similar to this for the first time this year. I work with autistic triplets and when I started at the elementary school they attended they were already in the 3rd grade. I am not sure if it is because all of the teachers were used to them by then or not, but they were treated very fair and very well. This year I moved to the middle school with them and it is a whole new world. It is much better now, but in the beginning of the year teachers didn't seem to want them in their classrooms. Two of them are very high functioning and able to do the same work as their peers. The only problems are behaviors and concentrating. Due to this teachers just seemed to want to have them stay in the IRC rooms all the time. Of course this was out of the question when they were capable of doing the same work as their peers. Luckily teachers adjusted and are working extremely well with them now.
I'm a little confused as to what we are supposed to talk about on this blog, so I will just wing it. :) I really enjoyed the teacher interview. I knew I would learn a lot, but I ended up learning A TON! The most helpful piece of advice she had was to never raise your voice in the classroom. Always be calm and in control, and the children will follow suit. It was also interesting to learn about some of the special needs equipment that I will someday need to accumulate. There is a lot that goes into making the learning experience for a special needs child a positive one and I am so happy that I got the chance to learn more about such an important part of my life. It makes me want to interview even more teachers to learn more information. :) What were things in your interviews or in this class that you loved?
Stephanie, I also learned a lot of valuable information from these interviews. It was nice to read them from the special education teachers perspective rather just my own assumptions of what a SPED classroom was like. I also agree that it is so important to provide a calm, positive environment for the students. They don't need any added stress and if given the right environment, attitudes, and materials they can be just as successful as anyone else.
I feel that I also learned a lot reading through the interviews. One thing I did take away, was that the frustrations and joys of being a special educator seem to be mostly universal. I hope to one work in special education, and even now, as a paraprofessional I encounter the frustrations and joy (perhaps on a smaller scale) and it is nice to know that I am not will not be alone. Reading these reports is very refreshing.
I think you quite accurate in that assessment Travis. The trade of emotional frustration for the pleasure of assisting children that have such wonderful talents inside just waiting for that teacher to assist them so these talents emerge!
I agree that a calm, collective, stable learning environment is crucial to the special education department and students within it. All classrooms should have forms of this as well but I understand it is much easier said than done. Every child works different in their own individual ways but it is always best to approach them calmly and respect them. I find showing respect to the students can go a long way and usually I find that the student respects me better with this approach. After working with students and their parents you will learn what individual approach works with each student. Sometimes a trial and error method is appropriate but remember a first appearance is important. Start light and then work up to more stern if necessary.
The teacher I interviewed mentioned to me that when the teacher raises her voice, it often leads to the volume of the children to increase too. Like many others stated, a calm, safe learning environment is necessary for most students. I feel this might be because they have such a stressful life outside of school (just my opinion).
The interview was definitely beneficial. It was great to learn some first hand information. One piece of information that I learned was that unless someone is passionate about special education, they shouldn't declare it as a minor because it could prevent them from getting into their preferred area of teaching (due to the school's needs) and the turnover rate is relatively high for special education because those who go into the field don't always have an interest or patience in teaching special education. Some washout due to being stuck in a particular area of special education in the bigger schools. The special education instructor that I observed said that in bigger schools a special education instructor may be placed with students who have behavioral disorders or other particular conditions due to their vast knowledge and specialized degrees along with the needs of the school. She indicated that the instructor may not be cutout for that particular area and may leave the field due to stress associated with the position.
I could see how this would be important to consider D.Renken. When jobs are hard to get and you need the income you will be more open to anything you can get. However, you may find that you do not have the skills or personality for this area of work and it would be very stressful for you which would in turn carry over to your students. All in all it would probably end up being an unsuccessful year for everyone.
Tiffany, I think you're absolutely right! When the teacher gets louder so do the kiddos! Likewise, I have found from subbing that when the teacher is silent the kiddos follow suit. Travis, I thought you made a good point about the joys and frustrations of being a substitute teacher being rather universal. I was surprised to learn how similar and at the same time how different the experiences of being a special education teacher can be.
I work in a special education classroom. I agree it is important to stay calm when dealing with students. If you get loud and upset so will the kids you are teaching. It is especially important with certain kinds of disabilities to stay calm. Students with behavior disorders or autism can sense when you are getting upset and will follow. Most kids learn better in a calm, controlled environment.
What Devin mentions about the high turn-over for SPED teachers really had me worried when I first began to pursue this degree. While having two kiddos with special needs prepared me a bit more for knowing the expectations and pressures of special education, I also know that we've had 4 different SPED teachers since I started working for my school six years ago. Reading all the interviews helped me see that there isn't a one-size-fits-all SPED classroom, and each school is going to be different. Like any other occupation, it's important to be passionate about your work. If you have that, finding a classroom that's a good fit for your strengths and personality may take a bit of time and effort but will pay off in the long run.
My first impressions of the interviews were very mixed. First of all, making connections with the students is vital for cooperation and motivation; paperwork appears to be quite a burden. I work with students that are being evaluated to begin the sped testing path and I realize that its all about data, data, data. It seems with the advantages of technology that paperwork would take less time.
The teacher I interviewed says that she has students on her case load that she never gets to see in class because she has so many other things she has to do. She has fought and fought to give SPED teachers a change to observe their students that are in regular education classroomes.
If the SPED teacher is going to be tied down all the time buried in paperwork then their job is kinda of thrown on the paras because they are the people working WITH the student. It is important to find a way around this or (I agree) with all the technology perhaps a quicker data input can be created for them. I struggle when people become a number or a name on the paper... teachers need to know students, they need to see their faces, talk with them, read with them, work with them, and visit with them.
I agree Wendy. I am a special education para and have been for 12 years now. I find the teachers depend on their paras a lot for information about students they don't get to see on a regular basis. Sometimes the para can provide essential information regarding the student that the teacher may not know.
Exactly Melanie! Then you wonder if the paras should be getting the 4 yr degrees because they are the ones doing the observations and learning with the students. Different school districts may have different protocol for their employees but some anyone can be hired for a para position.
The paperwork is tremendous, but when you're dealing with a legal document(s), it's a given (unfortunately). I want to be WITH my students, not doing paperwork. But it comes with the job, so it leaves me no choice.
I agree, Melanie. Teachers do depend on their paras. I work with many teachers who have students on their case load that they never get to see. They rely on other teachers and paras for information on how well they are doing in their classes. It would be nice if the teachers could periodically observe their students and talk with the teachers and paras who work with the student.
This is true, Wendy. Anyone could be hired as a para. My school district encourages me to team teach with my teachers. Honestly, I thought it was somewhat strange considering I do not have my degree yet in education. But, according to my job description I am allowed and encouraged to. I do some team teaching, but it's mostly in my LRE classroom and not in my CWC classroom. The SPED teacher I work with has had a lot of re-evals to do lately (and lots of paperwork), so I told her I would teach the class whenever she needed me to. I enjoy it so much! This week I started reading to the students at the end of class (read-aloud) -- as long as they get their work done. I like that my teacher allows me the freedom to do fun activities, like reading, with them. I even told her that I would make the students a review game using the Smartboard! I feel very blessed that I get to experience so many classrooms and teachers as a para. It is great real-life experience.
I have done some subbing for paras Dana and really enjoy the change of workload. I like popping in and out of the classrooms and working with different students and levels throughout the day. I like that paras stay busy and rotate around our school throughout the day. Especially in the younger elementary grades they thrive from an adult taking time to read a book aloud to them. I have used that as a special treat for good behavior and work completed regularly!
Dana while reading what you posted about teachers relying on their paras, reminds me of how doctors rely on their nurses. If is unfortunate that teachers are buried in paperwork and do not get to spend the time they would like with their students. It comes with the territory. I can remember not too long ago thinking, why does the doctor get paid so much when the nurse seems to do everything. Same scenario, I said one day, why does the principal get paid so much when the secretary is doing all of the work. It was then pointed out that it all falls back on the doctor (not the nurse), the principal (not the secretary) and the teacher (not the para). It is great that there are these professionals in the other professionals life to help them out but it stinks that there wasn't an easier way for the teacher to get the paperwork done and actually get to spend the quality time with the student.
Thank you Amanda for pointing out these different scenarios! Really puts it more in perspective and easy to visualize! It it all so totally true too. The parents aren't going to look at the paras for questions and answers, the teachers will be responsible.
I totally relate to your revelation, Amanda! Everything will fall back onto the man in charge, but we really need more resources, hands, and helpers to get us doing the job we are needed for. Children need our time, observation, and support. We need support too!
This is a question and reply from my interview with Debbie Miller that I was interested in knowing her response.
How do you handle behavior and outburst in your classroom to minimize distractions for the quiet learners? Do you have classroom rules for all students or individual ones for each individual? What forms of discipline do you utilize? How do you utilize positive behavior supports?
I search for the cause of the outburst or behavior. So, then I can maybe stop the interruption or at least minimize it, so the quiet learners can continue. As for rules, I try very hard to individualize for each student. Focusing on the positive is what I like to do. Investigating and finding out what works best for each individual student.
I liked that she gets to know her students and goes beyond addressing the behavior but finding the root cause for it. Sometimes it may be found that the root cause is out of our control, may be something involved in the home or lack of, may even find it is beyond the student themselves control. Example, a students failure on many assignments may be first addressed as learning disability or struggle. If investigation is taken one may find that a simple eye exam would show that they student was unable to see therefore could not read the assignment but had gotten good at just coloring in dots on the exam. Without investigating this student may be pushed through the system and unable to achieve to their fullest. I like that Debbie works to find rules and expectations for each individual student. She maintains control and organization to address them individually. Focusing on the positives can go so far with students of all ages. As well as even adults! It is important to find something to compliment them on rather than always dogging them for failures, behaviors, or lack of efforts. Early into my sub career I had a new student come in for a Junior High class. This student was very disrespectful, class clown, and rude. I just wanted to get through the hour about 5 minutes into him coming into the classroom. I dreaded the rest of the school year and honestly when I would get the call to come into a classroom that he would be in... I thought about turning it down. Thankfully that was late Spring and the year was about over! Fall came and I decided I would be positive no matter what and find a way to connect with this boy. He always needed a pencil, never came to class with one. He spat off that he didn't have any so I told him I would bring him some next time I was there, I would make arrangements with the teacher and they would be left in the teachers desk and were only to be handed out to him. I did remember and brought pencils in a couple of weeks later. When he came to class and I had a box of pencils for just him he became a different student. I looked forward to coming to class and having him, I complimented him every chance I could get, I respected him and he does me now, actually he is honestly my best student when he is in the classroom now. I investigated to find he was a foster student and tossed around several households, I connected with him on a level that showed I cared and he was cared for as an individual, I control the classroom by minimizing interruptions from these kinds of students by following these kinds of methods.
I totally agree, Wendy. I have just started subbing this year...in October...and have been in a bunch of classrooms. One 4th grade and one 5th grade classroom had 3-5 students that portrayed that same behavior; with only one in each classroom with an IEP. The beginning of the day was very rough, but after trying to find a connection with each of these kids, we found a mutual respect by the end of the day. I hope that if I get called again to be in those two classes, the students will keep that respect since I only got to spend one day with them.
I have found Kim that one day is all it takes, they tend to remember a lot more than what us adults think! I love the connection that I have with the students subbing at our school district. I have been subbing for three years now and really do enjoy it!
Wendy, I, too, was interested in the concept of classroom management techniques. While reading the interview reports, I realized that teachers use a variety of techniques and strategies. The teacher that I interviewed suggested some great preventative tips for creating positive behavior and social interactions in the classroom. Other teachers that were interviewed also had helpful advice. I really liked the response your interview subject provided to your question regarding behavior and discipline in the classroom. Instead of constantly readdressing the behavior, she searches for the cause of the behavior so that she can hopefully prevent the behavior from occurring. I also liked her ideas about focusing on positive behavior and individualization. Thanks for the great question!
Your welcome Amanada, I was interested in her response when creating this question not just for Special Education classrooms but for all classrooms!! I could understand how the SE classroom would be a bit more challenging to organize a behavior/expectation plan because it would be best to work with each student in an individualized way.
I was also interested in learning about parent involvement within the Special Education Department. I will first take the answer from my interview with Debbie Miller then I have found a similar question on another interview done by Amanda Hopkins with teacher Linda Snyder. Debbie's answer: It really varies in parent involvement. Most parents of a special education child work hard to make sure their child is receiving what they need in school. Many times it will require the parent and the special education teacher to work very closely and often to accomplish this. Linda's answer: I have found that many parents of special education students are not very involved in their child’s school environment. I have had parents who wouldn’t even attend their own child’s annual IEP. Don’t get me wrong, there are parents that want to be very involved but those are few and far between. This year is the first year in fifteen years that I have had all the parents attend parent teacher conferences. Usually they figure they see me at the IEP and don’t need to attend parent teacher conferences. I make it a habit to contact parents on a weekly basis whether it be through email, a letter home in the Friday folder, or even a phone call.
These two teachers have both had different parental involvement experiences in their departments. While I was typing up my questions and before I did the interview my opinion was going to be that the parent involvement was little or next to none within the Special Ed department. I know that there are those that will be totally into their child's education and you will find this both in the Special Ed dept as well as the regular classroom. It would be very important for the parent and SPED instructor to work closely together so that the student can achieve fully at school as well as in the home. I like that Linda makes weekly contact with her parents in any method available. Parents, Educators, and students all have busy lives so email, phone, text, note home, any and all forms of communication are a great idea! But the key is communication... it is got to be there!
I have taught preschool at a daycare the last 10 years up until this year when I quit to be a sub. I know this one family who does foster care (for extra money) and has had some very challenging and emotionally disturbed kids, as you can imagine the reasons they are in foster care. I know that one of the 3 foster boys (all brothers) she currently has, has an IEP. She brought them to daycare at 6am everyday, and they weren't picked up until at least 5pm in the evening; while her two children were taken and picked up from school and never attended daycare. This post has just left me wondering if she attends his IEP meetings or does the things at home that are in his IEP. She is his "Guardian" at the moment, and I think that foster parents should be evaluated and held responsible for complying to these measures. You can't force a biological parent to do such things, and I don't understand why they wouldn't put forth the effort in the first place, but if a person decides to be a foster parent they know the multitude of issues that these children will have when being put in their care. I can't say that the kids aren't taken care of, but their life is certainly not what it could be going for in the home life. It's sad.
Kim, that is very sad to set and ponder about. I have talked to a couple of ladies that have went through the process of becoming foster parents and have followed the rules. It is crazy some of the things and regulations they told me you have to abide by. Children aren't just put into foster care because they choose to be, their situations were generally out of their control. I agree that foster parents should be held to a bit higher standards and the "doing it for extra money" ones would be banned out. There is actually a family of boys I know in foster care at the moment and I just love one of them to death! I have thought about looking into foster care parenting but need to get my own boys raised up first so that I can channel all of my energy towards these hurt, confused children and not feel guilty or loose a moment with my own.
Kim, I agree that foster parents should be evaluated and held responsible for participating in their foster child's IEP. Of course we would all hope that everyone who wants to become a foster parent sincerely cares about the well-being of their foster children. However, reality is that there are people who are out there to take advantage of the foster care system, and as Wendy pointed out, are "doing it for extra money." While we can't always hold biological parents to such high standards, we can encourage regulations for those participating in the foster care system. I hadn't previously thought about the role of foster parents in the IEP process. Interesting thought!
On another note, I can really relate to your frustration with parents (both biological and foster) who drop their children off as early as possible, and pick them up as late as possible regardless of their work schedule. I have experienced similar situations in which it seems as though the parents want to spend as little time as possible with their child. It is even sadder that the woman in your story took the time to care for her own children, but sent the foster children to childcare. Can you imagine how that must have made those children feel? Not only do we need to regulate the participation of foster parents in IEP meetings, but we need to regulate their participation in the child's life!
I fully agree with all of your comments Amanda. I do not have a lot of knowledge in the foster care system but have heard many horror stories. Very sad. As you pointed out we need not always hold biological parents to such high standards because many of them are too busy to attend a parent teacher conference or other school functions. I struggled with putting my son in Preschool this year because it is only for 3 hours a day and on the days I am home and not subbing I want him at home with me. After much thought and consideration we went ahead and enrolled him for Preschool so that he could get past his attachment issues when being dropped off somewhere new and with different people rather than mom or dad. Now that it is said and done and half way through the school year we are happy with our decision because he doesn't cry and make you feel all guilty when you drop him off and actually just last week he ASKED to walk into school by himself and we wait in the truck!! That would have never happened if we had not giving him this experience with qualified teachers to help mom, dad, and him transition into school age!
Well said Amanda! It is so sad that parents biological/adopted/foster/legal guardian do not cherish the time they can spend with their children. Their children are the future of our world. I cannot imagine just "putting up with" my child. As parents and educators it is our job to make sure that a child feels safe, smart, wanted and cared for. There is so many challenges a child is going to face in their childhood and they need to know that they have someone in their corner. I hope that parents can realize that their children are watching everything they do and their participation in anything shows the child how important to you it is and therefore that will be how important it is to the child!
Yes, Wendy, thank you for pointing this out! I find this to be true in my own situation. Our four year old goes to preschool 3 days a week, it is a private school and I feel that parents would be more involved. At this age kids are still so excited about school and love going but if we don't continue to show them that school is important as a parent and being involved as the parent will show them this. I think that if your child sees that you care about something they will care even more. They need to know that you care about their success and are going to be there for them when things are tough and when things are good. It is important as the educator to try and maintain the involvement as much as possible with the parents as well!
I do know in our school district that a lot of the parents use the Preschool program as a babysitter and time for themselves. Our community is small and there is not but one or two options for childcare so there is a waiting line a mile long when it is time for Preschool enrollment. Our Preschool has two options, either Special Education Preschool with only a few "peer" students and then the At-Risk Preschool that has it's on qualifications such as income guidelines, single parent families, etc. So the spots are limited. I have experienced some parents even making up speech impairment accusations or if all else fails they fall back on behavioral issues just to try and land their child a spot in the Preschool program so they can have half the day off to do whatever or sleep. This is very sad when some of the kids may really need or benefit from this program and these other kids are taking up spots. The teachers and staff have to take a lot of heat when they catch some of these fake scenarios and give the spot to someone that really needs it. Also I have seen that some of these kids that are "faked" into the program the parents are often late dropping them off, late picking them up, or regularly sleep in and the child is absent from class.
Yes, it is crazy about the foster mom I talked about, and I would like to add that her youngest daughter is the same age as the oldest foster child and in the same building.
I also agree with everyone of the sadness of parents not wanting to deal with their kids, it just amazes me that their are so many....everywhere. I am 33 and been with my husband for 9 years...and ready for a baby for 8 years...hasn't happened yet. I always felt like that was why I would get so irritated that parents didn't want to spend time with their kids, but I can see that I am not the only one.
Wendy- that is crazy that people would "fake" a child's special needs and take a spot away from a child that actually needs it, just to benefit themselves. What do you think is going through their children's minds - even at preschool age - when they hear their parents say they have a problem? People truly amaze me....
I see how understaffed the schools can be. Yesterday the Special education room in the school that I was at was absent a teacher, no sub. One teacher had two groups going, these are 4th graders and very active. They had also received a new student that was to have a para at all times, and there is no one to take him. Who can even think of paperwork when your going through this?
Oh wow!! That would be a very stressful situation and even the best of a teacher would have a hard time organizing that much going on at once. Hopefully it was just a one time thing and the school can be better prepared with back up subs so not much learning time is wasted. The school should have planned for the students first day if they were suppose to have a full time para with them. I applied and interviewed for a para position at a school several years ago. They had met with the student and family as well as the other people involved in this little guy's life. The school had two weeks allowed for planning his first day arrival so they were staffed and prepared to meet his needs fully. I think if this school wasn't prepared with a staffed para then I would have recommended they excuse them for the day or make sure they had a para available for the transition.
Oh my, oh my, oh my! I cannot even imagine. I have a four year old and a two year old at home and I feel like I am going to pull my hair out at times. It saddens me that so many schools are having to cut back on teachers and staff. The numbers are staying up with students but the staff numbers are declining. It is not beneficial to anyone. The students aren't getting the attention that they need and are not learning to their fullest potential. It is important that education stays important!
It depends, for there is special education for the severely mental deficient kids and there is always lots of staffing. Some states have rules with student/adult ratio
The interview was very beneficial. It confirmed differences between things that I had noticed between my classes and how they are applied in the classroom. The special education observation and interview that I conducted reinforced the importance of IEPs, assistive technology, and the laws that encompass special education. I do think it is sad that the paperwork takes away from teaching in many cases and proves to be of little benefit to the students. We have a lot of rules in place that dictate what is taught, how it is taught and documentation required but there is very little regulation for support and funding to make it possible. The successful teachers that I have witnessed all have a recurring trait. That's the ability to adapt to whatever situation comes their way.
I agree that it's sad that the paperwork takes away from teaching. It is very unfortunate that we go through so much work to make sure our students are getting a proper education when really the paperwork proves to be of little benefit. I think there needs to be a much better way of doing this.
I agree with that. It was great to be able to put what you are learning in the real world. Having to read a gazillion chapters to take a test is not the way I learn anything. I thought that by having these opportunities to learn one on one was so beneficial. I really enjoyed getting to learn from the other classmates as well. Not only through their interviews but also in the class meetings.
I really enjoyed the interview! I thought I learned a lot about the career path I plan to take. I had thought about going into Special Education and just getting my Masters degree and skipping my Bachelors in Education. After talking to my former teachers from high school I had the consensus that that wouldn't be the best idea for me. I am glad that I listened. I am happy that I will have the knowledge from the bachelor's degree that I will need. I felt that while interviewing the teacher I choose, I realized how much more work is they have to do to help students with special needs. I was some what familiar with the process but had no idea that there was so much to do. I am thankful that I learned as much as I did in this class and through the interview process.
I spoke with a current second grade teacher who was a special education I.E.P case manager/teacher. She said " I think that special ed teachers are angels." I used to think I wanted to be a special ed teacher, but I got tired of all those UN-purposeful meetings. She stated at her former school, the special ed teachers were often frustrated at the enormous amount of paperwork that they are required to do--not including grading or lesson planning. I had to keep a detailed plan for each student. I spent a great deal of time testing students and writing reports (besides their in-class work).
Food for thought....Why is the special education growing at such a fast pace? I can't help me assume that one reason teachers are overburdened, is because the population is growing faster than improvements can keep up with. School districts will have to find ways to fund more qualified support staff and I am a believer that smaller classrooms lead to more successful students. I would like to know the scientific side of my question...is there something in our environment or genetics that is causing the increase or just more data that leads to more diagnoses that is increasing the numbers?
The teacher I interviewed talked about the increased number of kids in special education especially those diagnosed with behavior disorders. She thought one reason was the breakdown of the family. 30 years ago kids didn't have to deal with alot of the issues that kids face today. Another reason might be some of the disorders seen today weren't known or recognized years ago as being a reason to be in special education. These kids in the past were just thought of as "bad" kids.
Debbie, You bring up a very good point about the unfortunate situations many children are faced with today. Some students are on such an emotional roller coaster, it is hard for them to concentrate on their education and future.
My friend had asked me last week should he become a speech pathologist or a special education teacher? I shared with him that the pay scales, educational requirements, and ratio of students to staff vary from state to state and even district to district. In my own district, SLPs and teachers are on the same pay scale, and while teachers aren't required to have a Masters, the number of units of graduate study to get a Special Ed credential is pretty much equivalent. Also, our SLP works one-to-one and in small groups. I teacher a special day class with 12 students and I have 2 assistants, so we have a 1 adult to 4 student ratio - not much different than when the therapist works with a small group.
I do enjoy having the full spectrum of experiences with my students - teaching functional academics, physical education, daily living skills, music, art, social and behavioral goals, etc. This why I am in enrolled in this class because of state requirements.
I enjoyed reading everyone's interviews. There seemed to be some common themes in them. Most teachers expressed a concern over the amount of paperwork they are required to complete. Not only do they have to prepare and teach their classes but also have to complete IEP's, progress reports, and alternate testing. All the paperwork in additional to their normal teaching duties can be very overwhelming! Even though most special ed teachers feel they never have enough time, most still find teaching special ed very rewarding and worth all the headaches.
There were several things that were talked about in the interviews that I agree with. One was the importance of parental involvement in their child's education. Unfortunately many parents from low SES homes don't place a high value on education. Many haven't graduated from high school themselves. I have seen this while working in a high school setting. Many students don't see the benefit of finishing high school. Their parents may be unemployed so finishing school to be able to get a better job isn't a motivation for them. It is especially important to build a personal relationship with these students so they know you really do care about them.
Hi, Debbie! I can sure relate to the amount of paperwork and extra time spent on duties other than teaching that you mention. This week at school, we've been benchmark testing, plus assessing 3rd grade students for alternative testing environments. This places extra stress on all the adults in the building, but I've especially noticed our SPED instructors pretty much living at school lately.There just doesn't seem to be enough time in a day to get everything done. Plus, add in IEP meetings that take place before school, after school, and sometimes on weekends, whew!!!
I enjoyed reading everyone's interviews! I think many of them had similar themes. The teacher I interviewed gave their best advise to future educators to stay on top of IEPs! She said although it stinks, keeping them a priority will seriously keep you from becoming buried. I agree with a comment above that stated SPED teachers should have a secretary! Or at least one secretary per building? For SPED departments. My interviewee had some great insight on how children can teach each other and how to work hard to understand how each child's brain works. She said the Ah-Hah moments were totally worth it all!
This is a joint conversation between members of the two sections VA and VB of the Fort Hays Virtual College course TESP 320, fall 2012. We are discussing our interview projects.
3. What is the most challenging part of your job? What is most rewarding?
ReplyDeleteOften the most challenging part of my job is to keep pace with the enormous amount of record keeping, reports, data collection, documentation, and IEP writing required in the special educator’s position. There don’t seem to be enough hours to teach full time and do justice to the mounds of paperwork involved in the special education field.
In times when were trying so hard to meet the needs of students, on top of that there is a need to get all the paperwork done. The paper work is important also so there is a fine line to how much time is spent on both the students and the paperwork.
Teachers from both the special education field and regular classrooms have discussed the amount of paperwork involved with teaching. I understand too that some is necessary but shouldn't there be more teaching and time allowed for the students then all the time that is invested in filling out paperwork and crossing your q's while remembering to dot your i's so to speak?
DeleteThe teacher I interviewed also mentioned the huge amount of paperwork involved in IEP's. She has 24 preschoolers this year and 19 of them are on IEP's. She told me she would love to be able to just teach and have someone else to do the IEP's and paperwork. I too think that it would be very overwhelming and stressful since so much detail goes into making each IEP the best to help each individual student.
DeleteWOW Tiffany, that is a huge workload and PreK can be overwhelming all on it's own without the paperwork! Maybe teachers should have secretaries that do all the paperwork for them! Wouldn't that be ideal? I personally would want the teacher that is working one on one with my student writing the report/paperwork because they know my students abilities and struggles first hand rather than having that reported to them by another teacher that is working with them. Soooo overwhelming to think about how they do it and how we will do it soon in our own classrooms!
DeleteI agree, the amount of paperwork is terrible. The teacher I interviewed complained about the same thing. She is the teacher I currently work for. She does 7th - 12th and has a caseload of 26. She also is currently testing 2 more, to be added to her caseload. She has been teaching for over 20 years and wishes everyday that she did not have all the paperwork and could just teach.
DeleteIt really is terrible that so much time and effort has to go into all the paperwork that educators have to do. I don't think we should sacrifice the IEPs. I mean, if you had a child that had special needs, you wouldn't want them to lose that. However, I think that is something that needs to be addressed. Although, all too often teachers aren't recognized as being as instrumental as they are.
DeleteI agree Rachel with both not loosing the IEPs and the lack of recognition for the teachers.
DeleteYes, I think that all school districts should be alloted more money so that the Special Education teachers could have a personal secretary. They could go with them everywhere and jot down notes and know the kids so that the teachers' paperwork could get done. This would be ideal....but the teacher I interviewed would probably put them to work helping the kids. She also wouldn't even hire one most likely, and use that extra money for staff training which is one area of budget cutting.
DeleteI agree that it is a bit much at time. During the interview I conducted, the instructor indicated that there is a large amount of paperwork and updates that they have to consider. Whenever legislation is altered they are required by law to notify the parents and send documentation for the parents to sign. This often has little to do with the actual education taking place in the classroom but it is required by law.
DeleteAlthough it would be great to have someone hired specifically to do paperwork, I don't know how realistic this is. However, I do think that a great point has been brought up. Special education teachers are trained to teach children and help improve their lives; spending so much time on paperwork seems like a waste of someone with such skills to change lives. I am not really sure what the answer for this situation is, but I definitely feel that it is an area that can be improved. Great ideas everyone! :)
DeleteThe woman I interviewed does IEP and IFSP's and she often talks about how much paper work is involved in this process. She has so many kids waiting for services that her wait list is over 50, this does not include those who are currently on an IEP or an IFSP that she alone is responsible for the paper work. I wish there was some way to get the paper work cut down. Just someway to put all the information needed in a shortened format
DeleteI totally agree Heidi, maybe the best way to find answers to this area would be take suggestions from special education teachers themselves. If anyone knows how the day goes in the classroom, they would have the best insight!
DeleteYes, it would be in everyone's best interest, especially the children's, if there was some sort of technology they could use on the spot to input all their info for everyone involved to access and add input. It would have to be something that would uphold in court if anything were to happen, since that's the purpose of all the paperwork.
DeleteYou know what I find the most wonderful about all these interviews is that with the huge workload and amount of paperwork these teachers have....they all still made time to let us interview them. That right there says so much about their love for education and students in general, I just wanted to throw that out there.
The special ed teacher that I interviewed also expressed how overwhelming all the paperwork associated with special ed is. Not just writing the IEP but also all the testing that is required to track the student's progress. Regulations on IEP etc are changed almost yearly which makes it even harder to stay up to date. After reading the interviews everyone wrote it seems like alot of teachers feel there is too much paperwork. It would be nice if teachers could be included in the decisions made by Dept of Education since they are the ones who are effected.
DeleteThe special ed teacher I interviewed discussed the amount of paperwork, and data collection. One thing she did mention however, was that if all involved were doing their jobs, the data collection can be fairly easy and extremely useful when doing the massive amount of paperwork. She said that she had recently attended an in-service that explained how to make sense the amount of paperwork, as well as how to make it a little easier. She describe much of it as a necessary task, not her favorite part, but something that is manageable if you do a little bit at a time, stay on top of your work, and realize that much of it can help you do your job, or help others understand the needs and growth of the child.
DeletePossibly easier said than done!
This is very interesting to me. I have heard from numerous amounts of people that special education has a ton of paper work. The teacher I interviewed however said that he felt like he had less paper work than when he was in general education. He said when he taught in the regular ed. classroom he was always having to take home an endless amount of papers to grade. With IEPs he said it only gets overwhelming if he has several come up around the same time. It will be interesting to experience this first hand.
Delete~Darlene Sipe
Do you feel that laws associated with Special Education prevent or aid you providing students
ReplyDeletewith services?
Does not feel that the laws prevent her from helping. The laws help with the fight against regular
educators who do not want to provide adaptations.
This is a question I pulled from someone's interview. It really brought something to me. Working as a para last year, I was in a class with a child and that particular teacher was very old school. She would rather give them worksheets from two years younger book and send them on their way. I went back and forth with my Special Education teacher, principal, and the teacher trying to do my job and it all seemed to be down to the fact that they did not want to push the regular ed teacher, but what about the student?
Tammy, it appears that people are posting about the interview questions under the discussion board. Go to tools, discussion board, and then down to the interview questions.
DeleteThanks Curtis, and thanks Tammy.
DeleteI added the blog forum option just because it would be a place where students from both sections of TESP 320 could interact.
Also, it is kind of cool that by e-mailing to drrobbscott.vavb@blogger.com your comment can appear here on the blog discussion (I think this works).
Anyway, there is a lot more activity on the section discussions on Blackboard and I agree that you might want to post your comments there.
Maybe this blog would be a nice place in a few days to post farewell and good luck messages to people in both sections of the course...
I see a lot of worksheets in our school district. I would like to say because it is that I am a substitute and that is appropriate to leave for me while conducting the classroom. However I see it from both sides because my son also attends school so I see what he works on daily as well as the amount of worksheet homework! The worksheets I see seem to be printed state exams to just "coach and train" the students on what to pick and how to pass so the school continues to receive their standards and funding. This is sad and irritating all in one. The students are missing out on learning techniques, pen and paper methods, and problem solving sort of.
DeleteOoohhhh worksheets! Love them? Hate them? I'll be honest, I think some worksheets are really good. However, I work with special ed students on a daily basis and I feel that by giving them worksheet after worksheet after worksheet that I am missing out on so many teaching strategies that I believe are way more beneficial to them!!! Through my education at FHSU and my experience as a Para I have learned so many different strategies, tools, and teaching techniques that I feel like I can teach so much more than a worksheet can. Worksheets are easy, every now and again we may need an "easy" day in which we can do worksheets. But in one of my classes that I para for, we do worksheets nearly every day and I feel like we as educators have so much more potential in the different ways we teach. I feel so fortunate to have the experience as a para before I go out in the "real world" and begin teaching! I will not be a worksheet teacher (maybe every now and again when I need an "easy" day....like the day before winter break? haha)!!!!
DeleteI currently work in the special education field and have experience doing a life skills program as an instructor, and I am seriously thinking that it would be a nice move to just be an Instructional Assistant because the salary range is 22,000-54,582 a year.
DeleteThe base salary can increase, if you work summer school through an Extended School Year (ESY) program. The stress of being a teacher is a lot.
Easy days are appropriate every now and then Dana, however some teachers I have observed take too many easy days. I personally don't get it because an easy day of worksheets in the classroom would make for a long day for the teacher to grade all of the worksheets and see the same answers/dots over and over. (Granted that grading really takes place and it's not just "busy" work that gets stared after completed.) I agree that sometimes worksheets interfere with teaching strategies and interaction in the classrooms. Not to mention the amount of paper cost when the school has all these budget cuts! Perhaps a good idea for an easy day would be to upload these worksheets on a smart board system there as a class the students could go up one by one and mark answers... saves money on paper printing cost, uses technology skills for both students and teacher, required interaction between the students and their social skills (could be made into games such as deal or no deal, jeopardy, etc) and keeps learning fun!! I think something like this may even soak into the kiddoes brains better and they most may walk away from the "easy" day learning more than a weeks worth of worksheets!
DeleteDana, it sounds as if you have a wonderful para experience that fits nicely with what you are doing in school. I would say I have a similar experience working as a para, and have had the opportunity to teach and work with students in small groups, as well as in the self-contained classroom where I spend most of my time. Spending one on one time with students is a wonderful experience. In regards to "worksheets" I honestly don't hate them as much as others do. I do think there must be a valid point and reason to use them, and not just simply something to throw in front of a student. In regards to some students with special needs, worksheets sometimes do not provide the proper avenue to assess learning or to teach a new skill.
DeleteAll that being said, I know of a Kindergarten teacher who places coloring or matching worksheets on desks for students to do first thing in the morning. Though they often are an enrichment activity to accompany learning in the classroom, they are used as a way to ease students into their day, and get them focused on sitting at their desk and being ready to learn. In this way I think they are used appropriately, even if they provide what some may say is very little learning experience.
I experienced something similar to this for the first time this year. I work with autistic triplets and when I started at the elementary school they attended they were already in the 3rd grade. I am not sure if it is because all of the teachers were used to them by then or not, but they were treated very fair and very well. This year I moved to the middle school with them and it is a whole new world. It is much better now, but in the beginning of the year teachers didn't seem to want them in their classrooms. Two of them are very high functioning and able to do the same work as their peers. The only problems are behaviors and concentrating. Due to this teachers just seemed to want to have them stay in the IRC rooms all the time. Of course this was out of the question when they were capable of doing the same work as their peers. Luckily teachers adjusted and are working extremely well with them now.
Delete~Darlene Sipe
Awe! I came here to BLOG!!! Hopefully others will join us soon ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm a little confused as to what we are supposed to talk about on this blog, so I will just wing it. :) I really enjoyed the teacher interview. I knew I would learn a lot, but I ended up learning A TON! The most helpful piece of advice she had was to never raise your voice in the classroom. Always be calm and in control, and the children will follow suit. It was also interesting to learn about some of the special needs equipment that I will someday need to accumulate. There is a lot that goes into making the learning experience for a special needs child a positive one and I am so happy that I got the chance to learn more about such an important part of my life. It makes me want to interview even more teachers to learn more information. :) What were things in your interviews or in this class that you loved?
ReplyDeleteStephanie,
DeleteI also learned a lot of valuable information from these interviews. It was nice to read them from the special education teachers perspective rather just my own assumptions of what a SPED classroom was like. I also agree that it is so important to provide a calm, positive environment for the students. They don't need any added stress and if given the right environment, attitudes, and materials they can be just as successful as anyone else.
I feel that I also learned a lot reading through the interviews. One thing I did take away, was that the frustrations and joys of being a special educator seem to be mostly universal. I hope to one work in special education, and even now, as a paraprofessional I encounter the frustrations and joy (perhaps on a smaller scale) and it is nice to know that I am not will not be alone. Reading these reports is very refreshing.
DeleteI think you quite accurate in that assessment Travis. The trade of emotional frustration for the pleasure of assisting children that have such wonderful talents inside just waiting for that teacher to assist them so these talents emerge!
DeleteI agree that a calm, collective, stable learning environment is crucial to the special education department and students within it. All classrooms should have forms of this as well but I understand it is much easier said than done. Every child works different in their own individual ways but it is always best to approach them calmly and respect them. I find showing respect to the students can go a long way and usually I find that the student respects me better with this approach. After working with students and their parents you will learn what individual approach works with each student. Sometimes a trial and error method is appropriate but remember a first appearance is important. Start light and then work up to more stern if necessary.
DeleteThe teacher I interviewed mentioned to me that when the teacher raises her voice, it often leads to the volume of the children to increase too. Like many others stated, a calm, safe learning environment is necessary for most students. I feel this might be because they have such a stressful life outside of school (just my opinion).
DeleteThe interview was definitely beneficial. It was great to learn some first hand information. One piece of information that I learned was that unless someone is passionate about special education, they shouldn't declare it as a minor because it could prevent them from getting into their preferred area of teaching (due to the school's needs) and the turnover rate is relatively high for special education because those who go into the field don't always have an interest or patience in teaching special education. Some washout due to being stuck in a particular area of special education in the bigger schools. The special education instructor that I observed said that in bigger schools a special education instructor may be placed with students who have behavioral disorders or other particular conditions due to their vast knowledge and specialized degrees along with the needs of the school. She indicated that the instructor may not be cutout for that particular area and may leave the field due to stress associated with the position.
DeleteI could see how this would be important to consider D.Renken. When jobs are hard to get and you need the income you will be more open to anything you can get. However, you may find that you do not have the skills or personality for this area of work and it would be very stressful for you which would in turn carry over to your students. All in all it would probably end up being an unsuccessful year for everyone.
DeleteTiffany,
DeleteI think you're absolutely right! When the teacher gets louder so do the kiddos! Likewise, I have found from subbing that when the teacher is silent the kiddos follow suit.
Travis,
I thought you made a good point about the joys and frustrations of being a substitute teacher being rather universal. I was surprised to learn how similar and at the same time how different the experiences of being a special education teacher can be.
I work in a special education classroom. I agree it is important to stay calm when dealing with students. If you get loud and upset so will the kids you are teaching. It is especially important with certain kinds of disabilities to stay calm. Students with behavior disorders or autism can sense when you are getting upset and will follow. Most kids learn better in a calm, controlled environment.
DeleteWhat Devin mentions about the high turn-over for SPED teachers really had me worried when I first began to pursue this degree. While having two kiddos with special needs prepared me a bit more for knowing the expectations and pressures of special education, I also know that we've had 4 different SPED teachers since I started working for my school six years ago.
DeleteReading all the interviews helped me see that there isn't a one-size-fits-all SPED classroom, and each school is going to be different. Like any other occupation, it's important to be passionate about your work. If you have that, finding a classroom that's a good fit for your strengths and personality may take a bit of time and effort but will pay off in the long run.
My first impressions of the interviews were very mixed. First of all, making connections with the students is vital for cooperation and motivation; paperwork appears to be quite a burden. I work with students that are being evaluated to begin the sped testing path and I realize that its all about data, data, data. It seems with the advantages of technology that paperwork would take less time.
ReplyDeleteThe teacher I interviewed says that she has students on her case load that she never gets to see in class because she has so many other things she has to do. She has fought and fought to give SPED teachers a change to observe their students that are in regular education classroomes.
DeleteIf the SPED teacher is going to be tied down all the time buried in paperwork then their job is kinda of thrown on the paras because they are the people working WITH the student. It is important to find a way around this or (I agree) with all the technology perhaps a quicker data input can be created for them. I struggle when people become a number or a name on the paper... teachers need to know students, they need to see their faces, talk with them, read with them, work with them, and visit with them.
DeleteI agree Wendy. I am a special education para and have been for 12 years now. I find the teachers depend on their paras a lot for information about students they don't get to see on a regular basis. Sometimes the para can provide essential information regarding the student that the teacher may not know.
DeleteExactly Melanie! Then you wonder if the paras should be getting the 4 yr degrees because they are the ones doing the observations and learning with the students. Different school districts may have different protocol for their employees but some anyone can be hired for a para position.
DeleteThe paperwork is tremendous, but when you're dealing with a legal document(s), it's a given (unfortunately). I want to be WITH my students, not doing paperwork. But it comes with the job, so it leaves me no choice.
DeleteI agree, Melanie. Teachers do depend on their paras. I work with many teachers who have students on their case load that they never get to see. They rely on other teachers and paras for information on how well they are doing in their classes. It would be nice if the teachers could periodically observe their students and talk with the teachers and paras who work with the student.
This is true, Wendy. Anyone could be hired as a para. My school district encourages me to team teach with my teachers. Honestly, I thought it was somewhat strange considering I do not have my degree yet in education. But, according to my job description I am allowed and encouraged to. I do some team teaching, but it's mostly in my LRE classroom and not in my CWC classroom. The SPED teacher I work with has had a lot of re-evals to do lately (and lots of paperwork), so I told her I would teach the class whenever she needed me to. I enjoy it so much! This week I started reading to the students at the end of class (read-aloud) -- as long as they get their work done. I like that my teacher allows me the freedom to do fun activities, like reading, with them. I even told her that I would make the students a review game using the Smartboard! I feel very blessed that I get to experience so many classrooms and teachers as a para. It is great real-life experience.
I have done some subbing for paras Dana and really enjoy the change of workload. I like popping in and out of the classrooms and working with different students and levels throughout the day. I like that paras stay busy and rotate around our school throughout the day. Especially in the younger elementary grades they thrive from an adult taking time to read a book aloud to them. I have used that as a special treat for good behavior and work completed regularly!
DeleteDana while reading what you posted about teachers relying on their paras, reminds me of how doctors rely on their nurses. If is unfortunate that teachers are buried in paperwork and do not get to spend the time they would like with their students. It comes with the territory. I can remember not too long ago thinking, why does the doctor get paid so much when the nurse seems to do everything. Same scenario, I said one day, why does the principal get paid so much when the secretary is doing all of the work. It was then pointed out that it all falls back on the doctor (not the nurse), the principal (not the secretary) and the teacher (not the para). It is great that there are these professionals in the other professionals life to help them out but it stinks that there wasn't an easier way for the teacher to get the paperwork done and actually get to spend the quality time with the student.
DeleteThank you Amanda for pointing out these different scenarios! Really puts it more in perspective and easy to visualize! It it all so totally true too. The parents aren't going to look at the paras for questions and answers, the teachers will be responsible.
DeleteI totally relate to your revelation, Amanda! Everything will fall back onto the man in charge, but we really need more resources, hands, and helpers to get us doing the job we are needed for. Children need our time, observation, and support. We need support too!
DeleteThis is a question and reply from my interview with Debbie Miller that I was interested in knowing her response.
ReplyDeleteHow do you handle behavior and outburst in your classroom to minimize distractions for the quiet learners? Do you have classroom rules for all students or individual ones for each individual? What forms of discipline do you utilize? How do you utilize positive behavior supports?
I search for the cause of the outburst or behavior. So, then I can maybe stop the interruption or at least minimize it, so the quiet learners can continue. As for rules, I try very hard to individualize for each student. Focusing on the positive is what I like to do. Investigating and finding out what works best for each individual student.
I liked that she gets to know her students and goes beyond addressing the behavior but finding the root cause for it. Sometimes it may be found that the root cause is out of our control, may be something involved in the home or lack of, may even find it is beyond the student themselves control. Example, a students failure on many assignments may be first addressed as learning disability or struggle. If investigation is taken one may find that a simple eye exam would show that they student was unable to see therefore could not read the assignment but had gotten good at just coloring in dots on the exam. Without investigating this student may be pushed through the system and unable to achieve to their fullest.
DeleteI like that Debbie works to find rules and expectations for each individual student. She maintains control and organization to address them individually.
Focusing on the positives can go so far with students of all ages. As well as even adults! It is important to find something to compliment them on rather than always dogging them for failures, behaviors, or lack of efforts.
Early into my sub career I had a new student come in for a Junior High class. This student was very disrespectful, class clown, and rude. I just wanted to get through the hour about 5 minutes into him coming into the classroom. I dreaded the rest of the school year and honestly when I would get the call to come into a classroom that he would be in... I thought about turning it down. Thankfully that was late Spring and the year was about over! Fall came and I decided I would be positive no matter what and find a way to connect with this boy. He always needed a pencil, never came to class with one. He spat off that he didn't have any so I told him I would bring him some next time I was there, I would make arrangements with the teacher and they would be left in the teachers desk and were only to be handed out to him. I did remember and brought pencils in a couple of weeks later. When he came to class and I had a box of pencils for just him he became a different student. I looked forward to coming to class and having him, I complimented him every chance I could get, I respected him and he does me now, actually he is honestly my best student when he is in the classroom now. I investigated to find he was a foster student and tossed around several households, I connected with him on a level that showed I cared and he was cared for as an individual, I control the classroom by minimizing interruptions from these kinds of students by following these kinds of methods.
I totally agree, Wendy. I have just started subbing this year...in October...and have been in a bunch of classrooms. One 4th grade and one 5th grade classroom had 3-5 students that portrayed that same behavior; with only one in each classroom with an IEP. The beginning of the day was very rough, but after trying to find a connection with each of these kids, we found a mutual respect by the end of the day. I hope that if I get called again to be in those two classes, the students will keep that respect since I only got to spend one day with them.
DeleteI have found Kim that one day is all it takes, they tend to remember a lot more than what us adults think! I love the connection that I have with the students subbing at our school district. I have been subbing for three years now and really do enjoy it!
DeleteWendy,
DeleteI, too, was interested in the concept of classroom management techniques. While reading the interview reports, I realized that teachers use a variety of techniques and strategies. The teacher that I interviewed suggested some great preventative tips for creating positive behavior and social interactions in the classroom. Other teachers that were interviewed also had helpful advice. I really liked the response your interview subject provided to your question regarding behavior and discipline in the classroom. Instead of constantly readdressing the behavior, she searches for the cause of the behavior so that she can hopefully prevent the behavior from occurring. I also liked her ideas about focusing on positive behavior and individualization. Thanks for the great question!
Your welcome Amanada,
DeleteI was interested in her response when creating this question not just for Special Education classrooms but for all classrooms!! I could understand how the SE classroom would be a bit more challenging to organize a behavior/expectation plan because it would be best to work with each student in an individualized way.
I was also interested in learning about parent involvement within the Special Education Department. I will first take the answer from my interview with Debbie Miller then I have found a similar question on another interview done by Amanda Hopkins with teacher Linda Snyder.
ReplyDeleteDebbie's answer:
It really varies in parent involvement. Most parents of a special education child work hard to make sure their child is receiving what they need in school. Many times it will require the parent and the special education teacher to work very closely and often to accomplish this.
Linda's answer:
I have found that many parents of special education students are not very involved in their child’s school environment. I have had parents who wouldn’t even attend their own child’s annual IEP. Don’t get me wrong, there are parents that want to be very involved but those are few and far between. This year is the first year in fifteen years that I have had all the parents attend parent teacher conferences. Usually they figure they see me at the IEP and don’t need to attend parent teacher conferences. I make it a habit to contact parents on a weekly basis whether it be through email, a letter home in the Friday folder, or even a phone call.
These two teachers have both had different parental involvement experiences in their departments. While I was typing up my questions and before I did the interview my opinion was going to be that the parent involvement was little or next to none within the Special Ed department. I know that there are those that will be totally into their child's education and you will find this both in the Special Ed dept as well as the regular classroom. It would be very important for the parent and SPED instructor to work closely together so that the student can achieve fully at school as well as in the home. I like that Linda makes weekly contact with her parents in any method available. Parents, Educators, and students all have busy lives so email, phone, text, note home, any and all forms of communication are a great idea! But the key is communication... it is got to be there!
I have taught preschool at a daycare the last 10 years up until this year when I quit to be a sub. I know this one family who does foster care (for extra money) and has had some very challenging and emotionally disturbed kids, as you can imagine the reasons they are in foster care. I know that one of the 3 foster boys (all brothers) she currently has, has an IEP. She brought them to daycare at 6am everyday, and they weren't picked up until at least 5pm in the evening; while her two children were taken and picked up from school and never attended daycare. This post has just left me wondering if she attends his IEP meetings or does the things at home that are in his IEP. She is his "Guardian" at the moment, and I think that foster parents should be evaluated and held responsible for complying to these measures. You can't force a biological parent to do such things, and I don't understand why they wouldn't put forth the effort in the first place, but if a person decides to be a foster parent they know the multitude of issues that these children will have when being put in their care. I can't say that the kids aren't taken care of, but their life is certainly not what it could be going for in the home life. It's sad.
DeleteKim, that is very sad to set and ponder about. I have talked to a couple of ladies that have went through the process of becoming foster parents and have followed the rules. It is crazy some of the things and regulations they told me you have to abide by. Children aren't just put into foster care because they choose to be, their situations were generally out of their control. I agree that foster parents should be held to a bit higher standards and the "doing it for extra money" ones would be banned out. There is actually a family of boys I know in foster care at the moment and I just love one of them to death! I have thought about looking into foster care parenting but need to get my own boys raised up first so that I can channel all of my energy towards these hurt, confused children and not feel guilty or loose a moment with my own.
DeleteKim, I agree that foster parents should be evaluated and held responsible for participating in their foster child's IEP. Of course we would all hope that everyone who wants to become a foster parent sincerely cares about the well-being of their foster children. However, reality is that there are people who are out there to take advantage of the foster care system, and as Wendy pointed out, are "doing it for extra money." While we can't always hold biological parents to such high standards, we can encourage regulations for those participating in the foster care system. I hadn't previously thought about the role of foster parents in the IEP process. Interesting thought!
DeleteOn another note, I can really relate to your frustration with parents (both biological and foster) who drop their children off as early as possible, and pick them up as late as possible regardless of their work schedule. I have experienced similar situations in which it seems as though the parents want to spend as little time as possible with their child. It is even sadder that the woman in your story took the time to care for her own children, but sent the foster children to childcare. Can you imagine how that must have made those children feel? Not only do we need to regulate the participation of foster parents in IEP meetings, but we need to regulate their participation in the child's life!
I fully agree with all of your comments Amanda. I do not have a lot of knowledge in the foster care system but have heard many horror stories. Very sad. As you pointed out we need not always hold biological parents to such high standards because many of them are too busy to attend a parent teacher conference or other school functions. I struggled with putting my son in Preschool this year because it is only for 3 hours a day and on the days I am home and not subbing I want him at home with me. After much thought and consideration we went ahead and enrolled him for Preschool so that he could get past his attachment issues when being dropped off somewhere new and with different people rather than mom or dad. Now that it is said and done and half way through the school year we are happy with our decision because he doesn't cry and make you feel all guilty when you drop him off and actually just last week he ASKED to walk into school by himself and we wait in the truck!! That would have never happened if we had not giving him this experience with qualified teachers to help mom, dad, and him transition into school age!
DeleteWell said Amanda! It is so sad that parents biological/adopted/foster/legal guardian do not cherish the time they can spend with their children. Their children are the future of our world. I cannot imagine just "putting up with" my child. As parents and educators it is our job to make sure that a child feels safe, smart, wanted and cared for. There is so many challenges a child is going to face in their childhood and they need to know that they have someone in their corner. I hope that parents can realize that their children are watching everything they do and their participation in anything shows the child how important to you it is and therefore that will be how important it is to the child!
DeleteYes, Wendy, thank you for pointing this out! I find this to be true in my own situation. Our four year old goes to preschool 3 days a week, it is a private school and I feel that parents would be more involved. At this age kids are still so excited about school and love going but if we don't continue to show them that school is important as a parent and being involved as the parent will show them this. I think that if your child sees that you care about something they will care even more. They need to know that you care about their success and are going to be there for them when things are tough and when things are good. It is important as the educator to try and maintain the involvement as much as possible with the parents as well!
DeleteI do know in our school district that a lot of the parents use the Preschool program as a babysitter and time for themselves. Our community is small and there is not but one or two options for childcare so there is a waiting line a mile long when it is time for Preschool enrollment. Our Preschool has two options, either Special Education Preschool with only a few "peer" students and then the At-Risk Preschool that has it's on qualifications such as income guidelines, single parent families, etc. So the spots are limited. I have experienced some parents even making up speech impairment accusations or if all else fails they fall back on behavioral issues just to try and land their child a spot in the Preschool program so they can have half the day off to do whatever or sleep. This is very sad when some of the kids may really need or benefit from this program and these other kids are taking up spots. The teachers and staff have to take a lot of heat when they catch some of these fake scenarios and give the spot to someone that really needs it. Also I have seen that some of these kids that are "faked" into the program the parents are often late dropping them off, late picking them up, or regularly sleep in and the child is absent from class.
DeleteYes, it is crazy about the foster mom I talked about, and I would like to add that her youngest daughter is the same age as the oldest foster child and in the same building.
DeleteI also agree with everyone of the sadness of parents not wanting to deal with their kids, it just amazes me that their are so many....everywhere. I am 33 and been with my husband for 9 years...and ready for a baby for 8 years...hasn't happened yet. I always felt like that was why I would get so irritated that parents didn't want to spend time with their kids, but I can see that I am not the only one.
Wendy- that is crazy that people would "fake" a child's special needs and take a spot away from a child that actually needs it, just to benefit themselves. What do you think is going through their children's minds - even at preschool age - when they hear their parents say they have a problem? People truly amaze me....
I see how understaffed the schools can be. Yesterday the Special education room in the school that I was at was absent a teacher, no sub. One teacher had two groups going, these are 4th graders and very active. They had also received a new student that was to have a para at all times, and there is no one to take him. Who can even think of paperwork when your going through this?
ReplyDeleteOh wow!! That would be a very stressful situation and even the best of a teacher would have a hard time organizing that much going on at once. Hopefully it was just a one time thing and the school can be better prepared with back up subs so not much learning time is wasted.
DeleteThe school should have planned for the students first day if they were suppose to have a full time para with them. I applied and interviewed for a para position at a school several years ago. They had met with the student and family as well as the other people involved in this little guy's life. The school had two weeks allowed for planning his first day arrival so they were staffed and prepared to meet his needs fully. I think if this school wasn't prepared with a staffed para then I would have recommended they excuse them for the day or make sure they had a para available for the transition.
Oh my, oh my, oh my! I cannot even imagine. I have a four year old and a two year old at home and I feel like I am going to pull my hair out at times. It saddens me that so many schools are having to cut back on teachers and staff. The numbers are staying up with students but the staff numbers are declining. It is not beneficial to anyone. The students aren't getting the attention that they need and are not learning to their fullest potential. It is important that education stays important!
DeleteIt depends, for there is special education for the severely mental deficient kids and there is always lots of staffing. Some states have rules with student/adult ratio
DeleteThe interview was very beneficial. It confirmed differences between things that I had noticed between my classes and how they are applied in the classroom. The special education observation and interview that I conducted reinforced the importance of IEPs, assistive technology, and the laws that encompass special education. I do think it is sad that the paperwork takes away from teaching in many cases and proves to be of little benefit to the students. We have a lot of rules in place that dictate what is taught, how it is taught and documentation required but there is very little regulation for support and funding to make it possible. The successful teachers that I have witnessed all have a recurring trait. That's the ability to adapt to whatever situation comes their way.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it's sad that the paperwork takes away from teaching. It is very unfortunate that we go through so much work to make sure our students are getting a proper education when really the paperwork proves to be of little benefit. I think there needs to be a much better way of doing this.
DeleteI agree with that. It was great to be able to put what you are learning in the real world. Having to read a gazillion chapters to take a test is not the way I learn anything. I thought that by having these opportunities to learn one on one was so beneficial. I really enjoyed getting to learn from the other classmates as well. Not only through their interviews but also in the class meetings.
DeleteI really enjoyed the interview! I thought I learned a lot about the career path I plan to take. I had thought about going into Special Education and just getting my Masters degree and skipping my Bachelors in Education. After talking to my former teachers from high school I had the consensus that that wouldn't be the best idea for me. I am glad that I listened. I am happy that I will have the knowledge from the bachelor's degree that I will need. I felt that while interviewing the teacher I choose, I realized how much more work is they have to do to help students with special needs. I was some what familiar with the process but had no idea that there was so much to do. I am thankful that I learned as much as I did in this class and through the interview process.
ReplyDeleteI spoke with a current second grade teacher who was a special education I.E.P case manager/teacher. She said " I think that special ed teachers are angels." I used to think I wanted to be a special ed teacher, but I got tired of all those UN-purposeful meetings. She stated at her former school, the special ed teachers were often frustrated at the enormous amount of paperwork that they are required to do--not including grading or lesson planning. I had to keep a detailed plan for each student. I spent a great deal of time testing students and writing reports (besides their in-class work).
ReplyDeleteFood for thought....Why is the special education growing at such a fast pace? I can't help me assume that one reason teachers are overburdened, is because the population is growing faster than improvements can keep up with. School districts will have to find ways to fund more qualified support staff and I am a believer that smaller classrooms lead to more successful students. I would like to know the scientific side of my question...is there something in our environment or genetics that is causing the increase or just more data that leads to more diagnoses that is increasing the numbers?
ReplyDeleteThe teacher I interviewed talked about the increased number of kids in special education especially those diagnosed with behavior disorders. She thought one reason was the breakdown of the family. 30 years ago kids didn't have to deal with alot of the issues that kids face today. Another reason might be some of the disorders seen today weren't known or recognized years ago as being a reason to be in special education. These kids in the past were just thought of as "bad" kids.
DeleteDebbie, You bring up a very good point about the unfortunate situations many children are faced with today. Some students are on such an emotional roller coaster, it is hard for them to concentrate on their education and future.
DeleteMy friend had asked me last week should he become a speech pathologist or a special education teacher?
DeleteI shared with him that the pay scales, educational requirements, and ratio of students to staff vary from state to state and even district to district. In my own district, SLPs and teachers are on the same pay scale, and while teachers aren't required to have a Masters, the number of units of graduate study to get a Special Ed credential is pretty much equivalent. Also, our SLP works one-to-one and in small groups. I teacher a special day class with 12 students and I have 2 assistants, so we have a 1 adult to 4 student ratio - not much different than when the therapist works with a small group.
I do enjoy having the full spectrum of experiences with my students - teaching functional academics, physical education, daily living skills, music, art, social and behavioral goals, etc. This why I am in enrolled in this class because of state requirements.
I enjoyed reading everyone's interviews. There seemed to be some common themes in them. Most teachers expressed a concern over the amount of paperwork they are required to complete. Not only do they have to prepare and teach their classes but also have to complete IEP's, progress reports, and alternate testing. All the paperwork in additional to their normal teaching duties can be very overwhelming! Even though most special ed teachers feel they never have enough time, most still find teaching special ed very rewarding and worth all the headaches.
ReplyDeleteThere were several things that were talked about in the interviews that I agree with. One was the importance of parental involvement in their child's education. Unfortunately many parents from low SES homes don't place a high value on education. Many haven't graduated from high school themselves. I have seen this while working in a high school setting. Many students don't see the benefit of finishing high school. Their parents may be unemployed so finishing school to be able to get a better job isn't a motivation for them. It is especially important to build a personal relationship with these students so they know you really do care about them.
Hi, Debbie! I can sure relate to the amount of paperwork and extra time spent on duties other than teaching that you mention. This week at school, we've been benchmark testing, plus assessing 3rd grade students for alternative testing environments. This places extra stress on all the adults in the building, but I've especially noticed our SPED instructors pretty much living at school lately.There just doesn't seem to be enough time in a day to get everything done. Plus, add in IEP meetings that take place before school, after school, and sometimes on weekends, whew!!!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading everyone's interviews! I think many of them had similar themes. The teacher I interviewed gave their best advise to future educators to stay on top of IEPs! She said although it stinks, keeping them a priority will seriously keep you from becoming buried. I agree with a comment above that stated SPED teachers should have a secretary! Or at least one secretary per building? For SPED departments. My interviewee had some great insight on how children can teach each other and how to work hard to understand how each child's brain works. She said the Ah-Hah moments were totally worth it all!
ReplyDelete